8/27/09

Zucchini Pie

Zucchini is one of those things I can't get enough of in the summer. When I found this recipe I knew I had to try it and so I did... and we eat it regularly. It's easy, fast, has a great flavor, and it makes all the mouths in my house (and some other houses) happy. It is easily doubled and makes for easy sharing if you have to bring a meal to someone for whatever reason.

Compliments of Dinners for a Year.

1 pie crust, unbaked
Dijon mustard
1/4 cup butter
4 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups shredded cheese, I used a combination sharp cheddar and mozzarella
2 extra large eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Line a pie plate with the pie crust and brush with Dijon mustard. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large saute pan and add zucchini and onion. Saute for about 8 minutes. Add the parsley, salt, pepper, oregano and garlic salt. Toss to coat. Should look something like this:


Cool slightly and then add cheese and eggs and mix. Pour into the prepared pie crust and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

Now for Kelly's notes:

If you want to keep it a little simpler, just add a couple shakes of season salt, a pinch of dried oregano, and some dried parsley. It's a different taste, for sure, but it's still very yummy.

Also, you can use a frozen pie crust but there are two issues with that. The first is that sometimes a frozen crust isn't going to cook evenly on the bottom. In this way, you kind of chance it if you use frozen. Second, the come in packages of two and I don't think they keep very long so you'll want to either double the recipe or make another pie. Both good solutions!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you liked my recipe. I was just given a ginormous zucchini from my neighbor's garden. This recipe plus a few others are calling.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!