3/9/11

Hand Art

Since we moved, 9 months ago, I have had a bare wall above my bed. It has plagued me and I came up with several idea but nothing seemed right. Until I thought of this.



This is our framed hand art. Each hand is the traced hand of a member of our family. They overlap and my wedding band (which I don't think you get a great shot of) is actually made of paper from my husband's hand. Cute, eh?

All we did was find a nice frame we liked. This frame had a mat for 4 4x6 pictures and the dimensions of the frame were 8x20 in. If our family grows to be larger than 5 people someday, we'll need a larger frame. I think it's becuase my husband's hand is HUGE.

We took 2 pieces of double sided 12x12 patterned scrapbook paper. Then we traced 1 hand on each side and cut. Pretty simple. I used butcher block style paper for the background, cut to size, and glued the hands on, slightly overlapping. It would be smart to keep the mat to be able to trace the background the first time and any time you may want to re-make it. Just sandwich it all in the frame.

The whole time I was arranging the hands my 2 year old kept saying, "Too-ged-uh for-eber, wite Mommy?" (Together forever, right Mommy) And I said yes, of course!

You could also do this with a super cute wrapping paper as the background and then use either a coordinating pattern for the hands or - probably better - solid colors for the hands. Each member of the family could even decorate their own hand. Some sort of writing might be cute, like the family name and year or maybe "Together Forever" - inspired by a 2 year old.

Then you just have to hang it somewhere it will stand out, because it's super cute!

And don't forget to let your kiddos jump on your bed while you hang it because, probably, if your bed is like mine, they don't get to play in it often. It'll be extra special for Toogeduh foreber.

2 comments:

  1. Cute idea! And how in the WORLD did you grow that much hair on Gwenna? Seriously...Sadie has some issues in that department.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!