6/29/11

Beading

Some crafts are costly. A lot you can do with minimal supplies and a little know-how. But some... some are an investment. Then, ideally, each thing you make is less expensive than the last, in theory. When it comes to beading, you make an investment.

I was curious how much I'd like real jewelery making. I did seed beads on fishing line when I was in college, making numerous small strand bracelets. I made some pretty things that I wore for a long time but they ended up breaking over time. The fishing line wasn't strong enough and my kids grabby fingers were very strong.

Recently a friend of mine let me play around with her large supply of beads and make a few things. I have to say, it's a little addicting. It was SO fun to try different styles and color combinations. Here are my creations from that day.


I made three pairs of ear rings and 1 bracelet. I really like how they all turned out, especially the hoop ear rings. I made those with wire and then looped it around the ear ring post and help it with a crimp bead. It was a new experience for sure. Also, I'd never twisted wire for jewelery making with needle nose pliers since I have mostly made simple bracelets and rings that are made of, you guessed it, elastic. :)


I'd love to make the investment to get into beading and I hope to... some day.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I love these! You're GOOD! If you ever make the investment, I'd say it would be worth it. You could totally sell that stuff if you had any leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!