6/29/11

Fabric Flag Banner

I posted previously about making birthday banners with paper and pretty embellishments. Well, I've taken that to the next level recently. I made these fabric banners for Father's Day and then used them again a week later for a surprise party.


I LOVE how they turned out. And look how much this made!

They are very gender and occasion neutral and I think that's important to have on hand. We would whip these out for a missionary homecoming, birthday party, summer BBQ, or any other occasion that needs a little celebrating and decoration.

I used 1/2 a yard each of striped and polka dot fabrics. Then I printed off a template from the computer. I just used auto-shapes in publisher to make the right size triangle. Mine took up most of the page. I printed and cut that out.

After that, I folded the fabric in half (lengthwise, or as we said in elementary school, hot dog). I placed the triangle template down and used a rotary cutter to make quick work of the cutting. Of course, I don't have the rotary cutter, board, and other such tools so I used my friend's tools.

A 1/2 yard of fabric made so many triangles! I made 3 banners - 2 longer and 1 short. I actually sew them together, first my hand assistant (my sister) mad e apile of flags, alternating between stripes and dots. I placed them next to the sewing machine and just fed them through one at a time, overlapping just slightly. It was just a straight stitch and it wasn't even that neat. But it looked great.

I'm so happy with how they turned out. I can't wait to do another for my daughter's THIRD birthday. It's coming up in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!